Due to the forecast of low temperatures that are expected for next Sunday, April 3, the management of the OTSO Challenge Salou, and in conjunction with the technical delegate of the FETRI (Spanish Triathlon Federation), has decided to reduce the swim to one lap of 750 metres for safety reasons.
On Friday, April 1st and Saturday, April 2nd, strong winds are expected, but not on Sunday, April 3rd. Therefore, if on race day the sea is suitable, the triathlon will be held, but with the reduced course. The goal is to reduce the time in the water. Safety will always prevail in any situation and decision we make.
The possible options, depending on conditions, are:
- Option A: 1 lap of 750 metres for all participants.
- Option B: 2 laps for professionals and 1 lap for Age Group athletes.
- Option C: Duathlon, swim cancelled.
As a consequence of this change, departure times will be affected. Here is how they will look:
- 8:00 > PRO Men Middle Distance
- 8:05 > PRO Women Middle Distance
- 9:00 > Age Group Men Middle Distance | Under 45 years (Rolling Start)
- 9:10 > Age Group Men Middle Distance | Over 45 years (Rolling Start)
- 9:20 > Age Group Women Middle Distance (Rolling Start)
- 9:25 > Middle Distance Relay + Short Distance (Rolling Start)
We also want to explain that the course changes will not affect the rankings and that OTSO Challenge Salou 2022 will continue to be scored for the PTO World Ranking, the Challenge Family World Bonus, as well as the National Middle Distance Ranking of the Spanish Triathlon Federation (FETRI).